Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

Welcome to Silver Lining Sports!

Introduction

Welcome to Silver Lining Sports! Thank you for taking time out of your day to visit my site. I did some blogging a few years back and really enjoyed it so I figured I would get back into it.

What better time to start up my sports blog than during one of the best times of the year? The NFL, NHL, MLB and NCAA Football are all in action, the NBA is a few weeks away and NCAA Basketball will be starting shortly after that. It's a great time to be a sports fan. I knew that I wanted to start a blog, I knew the time was right, but coming up with the right name was holding me up. As of yesterday, I decided on Silver Lining Sports. Why Silver Lining Sports? I'll tell you why.

The Name

The blog would have been created days ago but every name that I wanted; 'There's Always Next Year', 'Where The Buffalo Roam' and 'Blue Collar Sports' were all taken. Those were the three names that I had my heart set on so I had to take the pen to the pad and brainstorm a new idea. I wrote down 10 different ideas but none stood out like Silver Lining Sports. It isn't anything witty or a great play on words or anything like that, but I think it epitomizes sports fans, especially Buffalo sports fans.

The definition of a 'silver lining' is:
  • a comforting or hopeful aspect of an otherwise desperate or unhappy situation.
  • a prospect of hope or comfort in a gloomy situation.
  • a consoling aspect of a difficult situation.
When you ask someone what it's like to be a Buffalo sports fan, the words 'gloomy' and 'difficult' may be common responses. Thankfully for us, we have cold beers, hot wings and good friends to console us through the tough times. For every losing season, there's a high draft pick to save us and a playoff run next year to look forward to. How many times have you heard, "we're one good draft away from making the playoffs next year" or "this coach will turn things around"? That my friends, is the prospect of hope in a gloomy situation. That my friends, is the silver lining.

Demographic

The site is for everyone but I am sure it will be exposed mostly to all of my Twitter followers. I apologize if you got bombarded with tweets, telling you to check out the blog, promising that you'll like it, begging you to give it a chance but I do appreciate you for finally cracking and taking a look at the site. Spread the word, tell your friends! I encourage participation, posting comments, giving feedback, etc. I am even open to constructive criticism but please don't do it anonymously. That's a personal pet peeve of mine. Don't hide behind a fake username. That's no fun.

If you don't like sports, don't like what I have to say or flat out don't like me then don't visit the site. If that's the case, you also probably shouldn't be following me on Twitter. I can be pretty annoying on there sometimes so I understand if you want to unfollow me; no hard feelings.

The site is for sports fans, primarily Buffalo sports fans. I'll write articles about different sports but the primary focus will be on the Buffalo Bills and the Buffalo Sabres. I'll also write articles on the NFL, NHL and NCAA Football. I'll write a little bit about the MLB and probably next to nothing about the NBA but maybe I can bring someone aboard that likes basketball and wouldn't mind doing some blogging to keep the basketball fans interested.

Material

I will do a bunch of different types of articles. I'll do previews, predictions, projections, recaps. I'll breakdown certain plays, do interviews with people, do long stories laced with facts, research and analysis. Sometimes I'll even whip up a quick article filled with sarcasm and satire just to break up the monotony of the straight laced, fact driven sports articles. I'll give my honest opinion on certain topics, but I warn you, I can't promise that it will be politely correct because sometimes, being politely correct can be robotic. The site and the material will be constantly evolving.

Thank You

Once again, thank you for checking my blog out. I hope you enjoy the site!

No comments:

Post a Comment