Pages

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Mock Draft 2.0 - Buffalo Bills

This is the 2nd installment in my 3 piece Mock Draft series. The first mock draft was posted last week and can be found on the website. My 3rd and final mock will be posted Thursday before the draft and will be a little different from the first two. Thursday's final mock draft will have my full first round featuring all 32 NFL teams' picks plus my projected Bills picks for Rounds 1-7 much like the first two mock drafts I have posted.

As you know from my previous mock, I use www.fanspeak.com and control the Buffalo Bills as the computer drafts for the other 31 teams based on their team needs and the players available. For the second mock draft, things shook out very similar to the first one and for the sake of personal interest, I wanted to take a different route this time around. With Taylor Lewan on the board, who I think will be a great asset to the team, filling a very big need, I passed on him in the second mock and took someone that many people have expressed interest in if none of the big 3 OT's fell to us at 9th overall. Keep reading to find out who I selected for the Bills:

Round 1 - 9th Overall

Just Missed Out On:
  • Jake Matthews (OT) - I would snatch Jake Matthews up in a second if he fell to the Bills. I think he is tactical, sound and one of the safest picks in this years draft.
  • Sammy Watkins (WR) & Mike Evans (WR) - I think Watkins is long gone in real life but Mike Evans has an off chance of falling to the Bills. If he does, the Bills should at least entertain the idea of selecting him.
Who I Considered:
  • Taylor Lewan (OT) - I took Taylor Lewan in my first mock draft and if this scenario presented itself in real life, I would want the Bills to take him as I think RT is the biggest need within the organization right now. I don't think Lewan is that far behind Jake Matthews in terms of talent and I love Lewan's nasty streak. For the sake of this mock though, I passed on Lewan to see how their draft might unfold if they selected a different position, especially if the top 3 OT's are gone which is both a scary thought and a realistic possibility come this Thursday.
Who I Chose:
  • Eric Ebron (TE) - If the two WR's (Watkins and Evans) and the three OT's (Robinson, Matthews and Lewan) are gone, then I'm not quite sure what the Bills will do at 9. The Bills could "reach" and select Notre Dame, G/T address a need but selecting the 4th rated player at a position just 9 picks into the draft isn't the easiest pill to swallow as a fan. In this scenario, you hope the Bills could find a partner to trade back but for the sake of this mock, they stay put and take Eric Ebron from UNC. Ebron isn't much a blocker and often lines up as a WR so there are some question marks, especially when you factor in that he has the highest drop rate among the top 5 rated TE's in this draft. All that aside, Ebron is a playmaker who will help bring a new dynamic to the offense. He is athletic, quick and is the prototypical new aged TE. Ebron would immediately become Manuel's best friend on the field.

Round 2 - 41st Overall

Just Missed Out On:
  • Dee Ford (DE) & DeMarcus Lawrence (DE/ OLB) - The Bills made the switch from 3-4 to 4-3 and while they have Mario Williams & Jerry Hughes, they don't have much behind them. Dee Ford was by far Auburn's best defensive player and could wreak havoc in an offense across from Mario Williams however he heads to Atlanta just a couple picks prior. DeMarcus Lawrence from Boise State has been picking up a ton of steam as of late as a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB.
  • Kyle Fuller (CB/S) -  The Bills brought in Kyle Fuller from Virginia Tech a few separate time this off-season. Fuller is versatile and can play the CB position or S. The Bills seem to be set at CB after signing Corey Graham in the off-season but he may be a candidate to start at S across from Aaron Williams which would re-create a need at CB. Fuller's versatility could go a long way in bringing some depth to both of these positions.
Who I Considered:
  • Joel Bitonio (OT) - Joel Bitonio from Nevada can come in and play RT but I have my eyes locked in on someone else. With former 2nd round targets Jace Amaro & Austin Sefarian-Jenkins no longer a need with the selection of Eric Ebron, I am able to entertain the idea of selecting a different position based on value. I pass on Bitonio and hope I can find a RT in the 3rd round.
Who I Chose:
  • Kyle Van Noy (LB) - I considered Kyle Van Noy, from BYU, in my first mock draft with this pick but decided to select Jace Amaro after having selected Taylor Lewan in the first round. While I should really have taken Bitonio to shore up the right side of the line, I just can't pass up on the value of Kyle Van Noy here. Van Noy can play MLB, OLB and DE. He is versatile and the epitome of a playmaker. He is solid against the run, in coverage and can create turnovers. He reminds me of Kiko Alonso and if you can get another Kiko Alonso, you get another Kiko Alonso. The switch from 3-4 to 4-3 limits the needs for LB's and while they added Brandon Spikes & Keith Rivers, Spikes is only here on a one year deal and Van Noy is better than Keith Rivers. As previously states, Van Noy can come in and play DE. He is a jack-of-all trades and a future pro-bowler. Can you tell I have a man crush on him? If the Bills can add Ebron & Van Noy in the first two rounds, they improved both sides of the ball and they will look even better if they can somehow land a suitable RT.

Round 3 - 73rd Overall

Just Missed Out On:
  • Cameron Fleming (OT) - Fleming has manned the Tackle position at Stanford for the last few years and has done an admirable job leading one of the best rushing attacks in the country. I was really hoping Fleming would fall to the Bills with this pick, shoring up the RT position while making my first two picks look even better for passing on this position and drafting elsewhere.
Who I Considered:
  • Allen Robinson (WR) - Robinson is a big, physical WR who goes up at the balls highest point to make the catch. He bailed out freshman QB Christian Hackenberg several times this past season on jump balls and inaccurate back shoulder throws. Robinson is expected to go much higher in real life but if any team can get him in the 3rd round, they got themselves a steal.
Who I Chose:
  • Cyrus Kouandjio (OT) - And just like that, I land the Bills RT in the 3rd round with great value. Kounadjio is said to have a balky knee but it's smoke and mirrors season. Many teams said he checked out fine. He got absolutely annihilated against Oklahoma but was solid the rest of the year. He will move from LT to RT, battling with Chris Hairston & Erik Pears for the starting position that I think he ultimately wins.

Round 4 - 109th Overall

Just Missed Out On:
  • Pierre Desir (CB) - Pierre Desir from D-II Lindenwood is a sleeper CB prospect in this draft. I haven't watched much film on him other than a highlight video but he seems very fluid with good closing speed but then again, that was against much inferior competition compared to what his draft-mates went up against every week.
Who I Considered:
  • Donte Moncrief (WR) - There is no way Donte Moncrief is there when the Bills pick in the 4th round so I passed on him to continue with a sense of realism. If he's there in real life, I sprint up to the podium and draft him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmOfe2uGgPU
  • Lache Seastrunk (RB) - The Bills don't need a RB this year but they will next year. The Bills also seem to really want to be proactive in getting one this year with how many RB's they've brought in for pre-draft visits. If they do take one in the middle rounds, my favorite would be Lache Seastrunk. While I would love him here, I personally think the Bills can either wait on one or get one next year.
Who I Chose:
  • Jackson Jeffcoat (DE) - Jackson Jeffcoat was a former top prospect with great bloodlines. His father Jim played 15 years in the NFL, with a few of those years as a Buffalo Bill from 95-97. Jackson has good size and oozes potential however his production hasn't always matched. He overcame some injuries through his college career so hopefully a fresh slate and a clean bill of health will allow him to reach his potential as depth behind Mario Williams and Jerry Hughes.

Round 5 - 149th Overall

Just Missed Out On:
  • No Notable Prospects
Who I Considered:
  • Phillip Gaines (CB) - A fast CB prospect from Rice. Gaines had a knack for the ball in the pass happy Conference USA. He always seemed to get his hand on a pass intended for the WR he was covering. Said to be a fringe tackler, it's something he would have to work on as he will most likely carve out a role on special teams before getting a look as a contributing CB. I'm intrigued with his potential upside.
  • James Hurst (T/G) - Hurst from UNC broke his leg late in the season but offers exceptional value at this point in the season. I'm confident he can play RT and would be an exceptional G in the NFL. He is an ideal 6th OL who can play 3-4 of the 5 positions across the line. I see better value at another position that will force me to pass on Hurst at this point however some team will get great value when they draft him in Round 5 or beyond.
Who I Chose:
  • Antone Exum (CB) - I feel like Antone Exum has been at Virginia Tech for 10 years. I remember watching him years ago being impressed with him on the outside of Frank Beamer's defense. He is a ball hawk and can lay down the boom. He can play CB or S which I love. That versatility combined with that of Corey Graham's who can play both positions as well will put the Bills in the best position to mix and match, play the numbers game, have insurance in case of injuries and be versatile in a league where versatility and hybrids keep opponents on edge. Exum can come in and contribute on special teams helping solidify the Buffalo Bills Achilles of last year. Exum can play and he luckily falls into the Bills laps thanks to some senior season injuries.

Round 6th - 185th overall

The Bill 6th round, 185th overall pick was traded to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for Mike Williams (WR) so you can include him as part of your draft class and if I may give my opinion, that's pretty good value. You get an established WR with some size at a point in the draft where the Bills are more known for selecting projects and eventual non-contributors to their team. Just look at the list of their last 10 6th rounders! Could this have been different? Could they have found the next diamond in the rough? Yes, they could have but it's far from a sure thing. I'll take Mike Williams with the 185th overall pick any day of the week, including this particular Saturday where this pick will be used, by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Round 7 - 223rd Overall

Just Missed Out On:
  • Kevin Norwood (WR) - Kevin Norwood enjoyed a nice season at Alabama and would offer good value in the 7th round. I think he'll go higher than the 7th round in real life in a deep class where WR's are expected to fly off the boards in the pass happy NFL.
Who I Considered:
  • Aaron Colvin (CB)  - A very good college player who tore his knee and has watched his draft stock plummet since. Some team is going to get a very good player who will come back in 2015 with a chip on his shoulder. Have the Bills not drafted Antone Exum in the 5th round in this mock, I would take a chance on Aaron Colvin in a second.
Who I Chose:
  • Isaiah Crowell (RB) - Former top prospect and productive player for the Georgia Bulldogs of the SEC, Crowell fell out of favor and transferred to Alabama State where he stayed out of trouble for the most part. The Bills have wanted to upgrade the RB like I've said numerous times in this mock but haven't done so. 7th rounders are far from sure things so the Bills take a flier on a troubled but talented RB in Crowell.

2014 Draft Results
1. Eric Ebron - TE
2. Kyle Van Noy - LB
3. Cyrus Kouandjio - OT
4. Jackson Jeffcoat - DE
5. Antone Exum - CB/S
6. Pick traded to TB for Mike Williams - WR
7. Isaiah Crowell - RB

Strengths: The Bills get an instant offensive contributor in Eric Ebron and also shore up the right side of the OL with the addition of Cyrus Kouandjio in the third round. The Bills add versatility on defense with the additions of Kyle Van Noy, LB in the 2nd round and Antone Exum, CB/S in the 5th round. Jackson Jeffcoat has some question marks but offers depth at the DE position where there isn't much. I really like this draft and think it makes the Bills much better on both sides of the ball. Very balanced with high upside prospects.

Weaknesses: This draft was risky. The Bills pass on Lewan in the first to take Ebron and Bitonio in the second to take Van Noy. Had the Bills not landed Kouandjio in the third, they would have looked like fools. With RT being the Bills biggest need, I wouldn't feel comfortable to waiting until the third round to improve the position, especially if they swung and miss. They thankfully didn't but like I said the draft strategy of going TE in the first and selecting a LB in the second, a position where they are currently stable at, was a risk. Jeffcoat hasn't lived up to his potential and Exum is coming off an injury riddled season. Throw in Crowell's character concerns, the back half of their draft offers more risk than the potential reward it could reap.



No comments:

Post a Comment